Post Hole Digger
Forward-Reverse Hydraulic Drive
Augers 2" to 18" diameter
Extra-wide Pneumatic tires
Swiveling engine cradle
Easy access to service points
Both Standard & Self-Propelled Models are Road Towable
Forward-Reverse Auger control
Power and Versatility at Your Fingertips!
Power, Safety and Portability!!
The #1 choice of rental centers and contractors worldwide is NOW STRONGER and MORE POWERFUL than ever. The patented auger drive provides power when you need it with TORQUE up to 350 foot pounds and a variable auger speed of 75 to 150 rpms. Among its world class features are a balanced cradle for ease of use and proper tongue weight distribution when towing, a wide range of augers from 2" to 18" in diameter with a variety of teeth, adapters, and extensions up to 66" deep. Its REVERSIBLE, hydraulic-powered auger won't "kick back" like mechanical systems. Better still, it's virtually maintenance free because there are no belts, gears, or shear-pins to wear or break. And it's so easy to maneuver that one person can drill hole, after hole, after hole, after hole.
In 1947, in the state of Washington, Clayton Merry designed and manufactured the first chain-driven tiller. His sister, Verla Allbery, named it the Merry Tiller®. Keeping the enterprise in the family, her husband, A. V. Allbery, took an interest in the new design and joined together with Merry, forming a manufacturing company. They began putting machines together in the basements of their homes. Later that year, the small company outgrew its underground confines, and Merry and Allbery moved the operation to the Ridd Laboratory building on the waterfront in Edmonds, Washington. The company continued there and grew rapidly.
In 1953, Allbery bought out his brother-in-law. He had ideas of his own to implement, and it was under Allbery's guiding hand that the "Merry Tiller® gardening system" was born. With the system concept, Allbery intended for gardeners to purchase a Merry Tiller® and, by doing so, they would have almost everything necessary to plant and tend a plot of land.
Allbery died in 1967 leaving the direction of Merry Tiller® to his wife and sons. They oversaw the building of a new 100,000 square foot plant in 1977 in Marysville, WA, and continued producing products Allbery had developed.
In 1981, they sold the company to Joe H. Brady and Associates from Birmingham, Alabama. Brady moved the company's operations from the Pacific Northwest to Birmingham and continued there for two years. In 1983, due to some operating difficulties, Brady ceased manufacturing but continued supplying parts and accessories to customers. A year later James F. Banton purchased the assets of Merry Tiller® .
It appeared Jim Banton was building the company with new products and more aggressive selling. Then he sold the company in 1988 to Citation Carolina Corp. But, shortly after the sale, it was discovered that Jim Banton had significantly overstated the earning and assets (inventory and account receivables). Therefore, Citation carried a heavy debt load and was unable to be profitable.
In spite of the troubles Merry Tiller® had in the 1980's, the name recognition and reputation of the product was still excellent. MacKissic purchased the assets of Merry Tiller® in April of 1991 and moved everything to Parker Ford, PA, where other MacKissic products are manufactured. This joined Mighty Mac® and Merry Tiller® production in one facility. Both product lines enjoy top-quality reputations. MacKissic has put their manufacturing and marketing expertise to work and quickly revived a great tiller line. Inductotherm purchased MacKissic in February of 1982.
The MacKissic name appears on shredder=chippers, sprayers, leaf blowers, vacuum-chipper-baggers, stump cutters, and tillers throughout the U.S. and the world.
Merry Tiller History